The principle of the design concept for the University Technical College (UTC) is to provide an exciting and interactive learning facility to enable inspirational education for future students. The look and feel of the UTC follows its specialism by exposing the ‘bones’ of its structure and services, demonstrating an honesty in the materials used – thus reflecting the engineering and construction specialisms.
The key features of the design include:
- an open, dynamic and welcoming entrance lobby with good views into the ground floor ‘heart’ of the UTC;
- a triple storey glazed atrium, enlivened with the forum stair and Learning Resource Centre gallery, as central meeting points for the whole UTC community;
- a café and dining area shared by students and staff;
- open and flexible learning spaces on each floor of the five storey flagship UTC building;
- two specialist double height workshop with vehicle access for transport engineering, and model-making equipment for built environment projects;
- a large multi-use hall with adjacent fitness studio;
- specialist electronics studios and laboratories;
- a multi-use mixed media and arts studio;
- a large roof terrace with hard and soft landscaped areas connecting the outside with the internal café.
Specialist learning facilities engage students’ imaginations by giving them the opportunity to design, problem solve and produce as individuals, as well as in small groups.
Industry partners in our UTC’s unique Employer Alliance contribute technical equipment used in their industries to familiarise students with the systems and materials they will encounter on work placement and in employment.
The UTC’s facilities are available for external hire through our partner Schools Plus.
Hire our facilities